Wednesday 19 November 2014

An Active Portrait

A trip to the flat pavements of Hull’s marina provided a perfect opportunity for some active portraits. My daughter had just bought a new scooter and skateboard and as she wanted to test them out, I grabbed my camera and we set off.
Starting with a few wide angled, fast action shots to get comfortable, we eventually moved towards more posed shots, both static and moving.
In general, I was pleased with the results, however I have struggled to make the set cohesive with regards to white balance and exposure.
The first three images show Amber practising her sport; although they may contain too much surrounding area to be classed a portrait, her character definitely shines through.



Next, we tried some posed shots, still full body to include the props in the image. The image of Amber leaning on the wall contains the least technical errors; being a static shot, it was easier to compose. Considering the subject matter and the fact that Amber is rarely still, I much prefer the motion shots.


 These low images omit the face, however I still feel that they can be classed as a portrait as they truly represent Amber’s character.





















The last four images were the result of some planned motion posing; Amber rode towards me several times, enabling me to capture full-face portraits while she concentrated on the task in hand. This lead to some difficulty with focus as she was moving towards me and we ended up with a few facial expressions which I wasn’t allowed to upload. Below are my favourite images from this part of the shoot.
 The focus is off in the first shot, however I love the facial expression and character.  The close up doesn’t include the scooter or any evidence of action, however what it has shown me is that activity can lead to a more natural looking portrait due to the model being more relaxed and engrossed in the activity.


This image is not really my favourite, however I feel that it is the most successful combination of technical competence, portraiture and activity. I am pleased with the focus and the depth of field in the image. Amber appears to be looking right down the lens of the camera, which draws the viewer into the shot and the activity brings some life to the image.


If I had to pick a personal favourite as a mother, it would definitely be this final image. Although the focus is on the scooter, rather than Amber’s face, the shot oozes ‘Amber’. Hopefully with practise, I’ll eventually be able to roll all these elements into the perfect image.


No comments:

Post a Comment