Friday 10 July 2015

The User's Viewpoint


When photographing buildings and outdoor spaces, shooting from the user’s viewpoint can give a much more accurate representation of the space, aiding the viewer to feel as if they were in that space.

Thinking from past experience, I chose my tent for my first example as most of the time is spent either lying down or sitting. The plan struck up a memory of a holiday in the New Forest when my children were young. Waking up to hear the them playing outside the tent one morning, I leaned over to open the canvas and took these photos from my bed. It is still to this day my favourite memory of camping.


Eight years on, my children are older and no longer play nicely outside the tent, however I did manage to get some photos of them from my bed. These were taken during a very rainy, muddy weekend at a festival in Devon.


In the tent, or outside, a lot of time is spent on the ground at a festival; the next two images show the main field from my space on the grass.


Finally I’m standing. These images of bands playing at the festival are shot from within the crowd, showing others partaking in the same activity.



Another holiday; my brother in law brought along an inflatable canoe. Having taken a few shots from the edge of the river, I was unhappy with the perspective. Wading into the middle of the river, I captured the activity from the user’s point of view. I later remarked to my brother in law that the views were so much better from the middle of the river, he responded with, ‘yes, you have to get in nature, don’t you’. I feel that this is often the case with photography, getting right in on the action, rather than shooting from afar. I think that this strategy worked as on looking at the images, a couple of friends said that they made them feel like they were there with us.




No comments:

Post a Comment