Friday 12 August 2016

Assignment 5: Exploring Autism (reflection)

My tutor and I are both relieved that I have finally got a lot of my research uploaded to my blog, including the research for this assignment.
One of my tutor’s comments on assignment five was that I have used Rantoul’s argument against using text with images and then used text with images. I had included this opinion to show a balanced argument for and against using text, however as my tutor feels that it undermines my work, I will omit this argument in my final draft.

My tutor also feels that the captions used with the images may direct interpretation of the image too much. On initially seeing this set, he seemed to prefer the more direct explanations as they inform while leaving the images to evoke a reaction in the viewer. He also said that they might bring up associations with the family album. As I had specifically photographed Bonnie in the home in order to invite the viewer into her world, I quite like this connotation. I will however revisit the text in order to make it less emotive.

The images themselves have evoked a positive response,

You hide and reveal, if I can put it like that, in a way that conveys sensitivity and respect for both of your subjects. Then you finish the series with the very direct look, which is interesting, and you remark upon this in your notes. Afghan girl is one possible reference, although the ‘truth snare’ of Steve McCurry has been questioned recently.’


I understand the controversy surrounding Steve McCurry’s images currently but the initial sentiment described is what I, among many photographers would strive for.

No comments:

Post a Comment