Sunday 19 April 2015

Standard focal length

I chose a trip to the beach to practise the use of my prime 50mm lens as, not used to being without a zoom I thought this would give me enough space to move around. The 50mm focal length produces images almost as the eye sees, without the distortion given with a wide angle or telephoto lens so I felt that the images would come out much more real and flattering to the human form and features.

Street photographer Henry Cartier-Bresson mainly used this focal length; he believed that by using a fixed or prime lens, he could develop a better idea of how his images would look as he viewed the scene.  


After a bit of running back and forth to get the right shots, I quickly found myself developing an instinctive feel for the distance needed between the subject and myself. I enjoyed the new, lighter feel of my camera and also the faster shutter speeds available by using the wider apertures available with the lens.













Obviously without the use of an adjustable zoom, some scenes remain too far away to shoot and lack detail while others are too close, meaning I may not capture everything I want in the shot. 


Update:


Since completing this exercise, I have had more practice using the 50mm prime. Although the fact still stands that I can’t always get everything I need in the shot; sometimes this is to my benefit. While at a family party, I saw a scene, which the confinements of the room just wouldn’t allow me to photograph in its entirety. I did the best I could in the circumstances and the image I captured has turned out to be one of my favourite images of all time.








Had I used a wide-angle lens, I would have ended up with more in the shot, but the image would have been distorted and unflattering. The restriction imposed has forced me to close in on the detail and the bond between mother and daughter. I love this lens!

No comments:

Post a Comment